A blog post 19 years in the making
The cost of #RecoveringFromSexualViolence
My education is both technical and hands-on. Most of the work I’ve done has been pro-bono as a victim’s advocate in Edmonton, Calgary and Grand Prairie.
One of the most expensive parts of recovery for many women I’ve worked with is lack of publicly accessible and low-cost psychological, emotional and physical support for injuries resulting from sexual abuse.
If programs aren’t readily accessible, it makes the recovery process longer and prohibitively expensive. When I was recovering from my first attack at the age of six, no one would believe me. My birth family blocked access to treatment and refused to admit I had been a victim of sexual abuse. The inability to access care at an early age led me to believe I was unworthy of medical attention or understanding.
I put years of work into establishing Victim’s Services funding for victims of incest in Alberta. It took 27 years from when I was assaulted as a child to win a tribunal against the Office of Victims’ Services Financial Benefits. The tribunal’s ruling stated that a child cannot consent to sexual assault.
Over the past 19 years, as I healed myself, I’ve been building a well-researched, low-cost, accessible program that is both scientific and practical.
If you decide to access resources that I suggest, please let me know if you find any of the following difficulties:
- They were difficult to navigate
- They were more political than practical
- They had hidden expenses
- They had “pay to recover” policies
With this information, we can work together and strengthen the referrals that Edmonton Therapeutic Massage provides.
- RMT Diploma – Edmonton College of Swedish Relaxation Massage (2000)
- Thai Massage Instructor – International Training Massage - Chiang Mai, Thailand (2005)
- Meditation Instructor Willpower Institute (2011)
- RMT Advanced Diploma – Northern Institute of Massage Therapy (2017)
- Office for Victim’s of Crime Training and Technical Assistance Centre - USA (2015 – ongoing)
- RAc Diploma Reeves College- Edmonton (currently attending)